Summertime brings the much-needed warmth and sunshine, but it also comes with the scorching heat that can make your home feel like an oven. Therefore, it’s important to keep your air conditioner clean and well-maintained to ensure optimal performance. Thankfully Bruin’s Plumbing & Heating, Ltd. is here to guide you through the process of cleaning your air conditioner and provide exceptional air conditioning service to residents in Red Deer, Lacombe, Sylvan Lake, and surrounding areas.
To properly clean your air conditioner, you need to understand the different components of your AC system. Here are the main components that need to be cleaned routinely:
- Air filters: Air filters trap dust and other particles that can enter your home through the air conditioning system. They need to be cleaned or replaced every 30 to 90 days, depending on the usage of your AC unit.
- Evaporator coils: The evaporator coils are responsible for cooling the air in your home. They need to be cleaned at least once a year to prevent dirt buildup, which can decrease their efficiency.
- Condenser coils: The condenser coils are located outside of your home and are responsible for releasing the hot air from your home to the outside. They should be cleaned at least once a year to prevent debris buildup.
- Drain lines: The drain lines are responsible for removing the condensation that is produced by your AC unit. They can become clogged with dirt, mold, or other debris and should be cleaned regularly.
- Vents: Vents are the openings where the air flows into your home. They can become clogged with dirt or debris, which can decrease the amount of air that enters your home. Vents should be cleaned at least once a year.
Cleaning Your Air Conditioner
Cleaning your air conditioner can be a simple task that homeowners can do with basic tools. However, you can always hire a professional air conditioning service provider in Red Deer, AB, Lacombe, Sylvan Lake, and surrounding areas for help if you are uncomfortable with DIY tasks or do not have the necessary tools.
Here are the steps to clean your air conditioner:
- Turn off the power: Before starting any cleaning tasks, make sure to turn off the power to your AC unit to prevent any accidents.
- Clean the air filter: Remove the air filter and clean it with a soft brush or vacuum. If the filter is too dirty, replace it with a new one.
- Clean the evaporator coils: Use a soft brush or a specialized coil cleaner to clean the evaporator coils. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning and avoid using harsh chemicals that can damage the coils.
- Clean the condenser coils: Use a garden hose to clean the condenser coils. Make sure to remove any debris or dirt that has accumulated on the coils.
- Clean the drain lines: Use a wet-dry vacuum or a specialized cleaner to clean the drain lines. If they are clogged, use a plumbing snake to clear the blockage.
- Clean the vents: Use a soft brush or a vacuum to clean the vents. Make sure to remove any debris or dirt that has accumulated on the vents.
After cleaning all the components, turn on the power and let the AC unit run for a few minutes to ensure it works properly.
We Can't Wait To Hear From You!
Don’t let the summer heat get you down! With regular maintenance and proper cleaning, your air conditioner can provide you with the comfort and relaxation you need to beat the heat. If you’re uncomfortable with troubleshooting your unit on your own or need emergency AC repair in Lacombe, AB, Red Deer, Sylvan Lake, and surrounding areas contact us at Bruin’s Plumbing & Heating, Ltd.